The beauty (in the truest sense of the word) of  the diesel engine is that it
can run on LOTS of things. So it is  inconsequential that bio-fuels from virgin
feedstocks could never run  every diesel engine in the world. As long as the US
govt pays farmers  to keep MILLIONS of acres out of production, there is a
place for  bio-fuels from virgin feedstocks. Then you have WVO, Waste lard,
synfuel, and TCP & CPD technologies (turkey guts and used tires to  diesel).
AND there is still oil in the ground...to say nothing of more  efficient diesel
engines and powertrains - a company in california is  making series hybrids
(like a locomotovie, not parallel hybrids like  the prius) - a 2.5 liter diesel
engine powers a full size city bus.

  Any bio-fuel proponent who thinks that rapeseeds alone will power the  world
are nuts. Anybody who thinks we shouldn't use ANY BioD and VO  because someone
MIGHT cut down too many trees is EQUALLY nuts. There  will be a mosaic of
alternatives, not one single cure-all.

  Another - biogas - a train in Sweden runs on biogas (mix cow crap and  grass,
collect the gas and off you go (the rest makes GREAT compost for  the
rainforests)!!

  Another - a few americans are now using gasogen, widely used by the  Germans
and Australians in WWII - this is not synfuel, but a carcoal  burner with gas
sucked into the carb - off you go. My father-in-law's  friend was a POW in
Germany and was transported in a gasogen powered  truck. Worked just fine.

  Chris

B Dike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:It's  a real problem that David Pimental has
been concerned about for some  time. He believes that synfuel from coal is a
viable source for diesel  fuel, but not biodiesel from virgin feedstock.
Converting the  commercial truck fleet to biodiesel in the US would require six
times  the total available cropland in the country.

TimothyPilgrim  wrote:
  (sigh) We just can't win either way, can we? Looks like we'll all have
to revert to a barefoot hunter-gatherer society in order to satisfy
some people.

Tim
1982 300TD Moby

On 11/22/05, Rich Thomas wrote:
> http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewNation.asp?Page=\Nation\archive\200511\NAT20051122a.html

Bruce
82 300CD 334kmi 'His'
85 300CD 236kmi 'Hers'
75 240D 194kmi 'Donner'
77 240D 204kmi 'Blitzen'

Christopher McCann, Squier Park, Kansas City, Missouri
-2005 Blue Point Siamese, "Rose"
-1987 300TD, 150K, "Rotkäppchen"
-1985 300SD, 209K, "Wulf"
-1976 240D, ?K, "AKP-Wagen" (Alternativen Kraftstoffs Prüfenlastwagen)
-1972 Jacobsen 21" Turbo Vent
-1971 Case 222 Hydrive, 12HP Kohler, 38" deck, Snowcaster, "One Banger"