I stand ever so humbly corrected.

So when a diesel engine is under load and over fueled and makes loads of
black smoke due to unburned fuel there is still an "excess of air just along
for the ride"????

Sorry, with all respect, does not compute in my world of reality and diesel
experience.

So, if you would be so kind, "splain" to me just how the engine limits the
fuel load based on the air charge?  What, other than throttle position at
the IP, limits fuel volume at the injector for each RPM of the engine?

My humble understanding of physics tells me the turbo extracts heat energy
from the exhaust path and converts that to mechanical energy resulting in
compressing an additional air charge into the intake path.  This translates
into a more oxygen rich block of air in the cylinder at the compression /
ignition stroke.  Additional oxygen supports greater expansion and more
complete burning of the fuel supplied at injection which transfers heat
energy to mechanical and drives the piston down [power stroke].

More oxygen plus more fuel makes more heat energy, thus more power.
To support combustion successful engine physics requires a stotsimetric (sp)
ratio of 11.2 to 13.6 .  Adding fuel or air outside that ratio band will
fail combustion, or at least impact efficiency.

Please correct me where I am wrong. It's been working for me for about 30
years now with Mechanical Unit Injection.

Grant...
AZ