> aland...@knology.net wrote:

> Need to rebuild the brake calipers on my '83 300D. Don't know
> if they are ATE or Bendix as I don't find any name on the rear
> one I have off. Does anyone know how to tell which they are?

On the outside (opposite the hose) it is cast into the round
part that is the cylinder casing.

The ATE is very hard to read.  Bendix has a recessed circle with
the Bendix name.  So if it's not clearly Bendix, it's probably
ATE.

My memory also suggests that the Bendix uses tiny "hitch pins"
clips to hold the pad retainer pins in.  Those pins are on the
inboard side, so technically are visible with the wheel on,
though being able to look up in that dark hole isn't always easy.

The ATE uses a spring tension ring that is invisible when
installed.  These are the ones that are just hammered in or
out.  No additional retainer.

I'm not certain that only Bendix uses the clips.

--   Philip