  Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 15:11:12 -0500
From: Marshall Booth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Head gasket blown?

Brian Chase wrote:
> I was reminded that what may be ailing my engine (240d) is a blown
head
> gasket.
>
> If that's the case, (typically speaking) is the engine in need of an
> overhaul, or can the cylinder(s) affected be repaired in-car? I'm
> assuming coolant in the cylinder and perhaps some pitting?

A blown head gasket (relatively rare) is almost always replaced with
the
engine in the car. Usually/often the timing chain is replaced as well
(unless it's relatively new).

Why do you think the head gasket is blown??? A blown head gasket WON'T
usually cause an engine to seize unless you allow it to run until the
engine to overheat excessively - and if you do that, a LOT more than
the
head gasket will need to be replaced before the engine will run again.

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '84 190D 2.2 229Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D
2.5
turbo 237kmi