All the auto Mercs I have had or dealt with, take off in 2nd, from memory mao's 240D took off in 2nd but then again my memory is........ahmmnh.....well I forgot what I was going to say, what was the topic of discussion again? However this is not to say that some take off in 1st but as far as I recall 1st gear is supposed to be used when driving up steep grades or pulling a trailer. According to the owners manual for the petrol 124's, they should start in 2nd under moderate acceleration, when the gear selector is in 3 or D. As a side note, cars that have a S (standard) or E (economy) selector switch (very rare on Oz Benzes), they will always take off in 2nd if E is selected. Basically the Economy/Standard switch varies the length of the control cable going to the gear box. Which I think is one of those things that is a waste of time, as you get the same effect with how much pressure you put on the accelerator pedal. Guess it's one of those "ahh look other car makers have an economy switch, we better have one too" situations.

Hendrik
who selects 1st when on a hill

Max Dillon wrote:
Yes, I'm quite sure. After two fills of M1 ATF, it shifts very nicely.

Stu Ritter's Bible says that only some of the 124 gas cars started in 2nd, if
you can believe him.

Max