!977 was a horrible year for new car emissions/driveability, unless you bought something inherently clean, like a Saab 99 (just a little passive air injection in the exhaust headers) or CVCC Honda.

That said, the Chevy 250, 305, and 350 were all very solid engines in 1977, same for the THM350 transmission. Unless they had a major electrical failure or the drivetrain fell out of the car, they were going to make it home. The car might run lean and stumble, but it wasn't going to just quit in the first year of its life. (I think Dad's Nova was 11-12 years old when he sold it, and the only electrical failure that car ever had was when a side terminal fell out of the aftermarket replacement battery in 1985. By the time it was five years old it had gone through a couple sets of shocks and broken the leaf springs in the back, but the parts that actually moved it down the road were pretty solid.

Mitch.

WILTON wrote:
My Nova story: Summer of 1977, we lived at George AFB, Victorville, CA. 20-year-old daughter had just finished her sophomore year at East Carolina U, Greenville, NC. She called and said she and a friend, another mighty fine-looking, 20-year-old blonde, were driving friend's new car all the way across the country to see us for a few days. Late morning of the expected arrival date, SWMBO called to tell me that the young ladies had arrived. Imagine my surprise and concern for their return trip to NC when I turned the corner onto my street and saw a Nova sitting in front of the house. I never let them know about my worry, and they made it back to their school O K in spite of the 3000-mile distance; well, if they had any problem getting back, I never heard about it, anyway.