I'm looking at an 83 300SD that has 175 K miles and trans problem.... rest
of car is pretty nice, it's an AZ car so zero rust. Runs/ starts/ all good.

The problem:  Transmission only operates in reverse.  Present owner bought
the car with a transmission issue. When purchased, it would only go forward,
no reverse, they changed the trans from a donor car [no history on the donor
car apparently].. it was a pull and swap operation... the replacement trans
only has reverse,, no forward.. owner says "enough"... is offering it to me.

Question/s:  Is there a chance that the car has a problem not related to the
transmission that would cause these scenarios?   Is it instead likely that
he simply drew the short straw and got, first a car with trans problem ,
second, a donor trans with the opposite problem?  OR,,, since this was all
done by people who do not think, drink, and breath Mercedes.... they simply
overlooked something obvious like linkage issue,, or vacuum issue.. or ????
..

Anyone care to jump in with some good old Mercedes fueled brain power?  It's
a really clean car,, inside and out,,,, AC works,,, windows work.. sun roof
works... needs a set of tires.. brakes are A-OK... visual check good. ...
With 175 K miles, it that the threshold for having trans problems anyway?

Thoughts, suggestions, ideas?

Thanks to all,

Grant...
AZ