On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 11:45 AM, Kaleb C. Striplin <ka...@striplin.net> wrote:
> Why not a diesel gen?

My thought too.  Used ones with plenty of life are all over eBay.  I
like the security of knowing that I have more than a snowball's chance
of fixing the gen if it breaks down---mine is a Shindaiwa that is
about as complicated as an OM616.

But you have to live in a place where it is legal to have a big tank
of diesel sitting around, and make sure that it's OK with your
homeowner's insurance.  I know mine (Safeco) is OK with "a reasonable
amount given what is typical for the location of the property," which
according to my agent means since I live in farm country I can have an
80 gallon drum (since my neighbors all store that much or more to keep
their tractors going).

Alex