On 12/10/2011 1:58 PM, Alex Chamberlain wrote:
On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 11:45 AM, Kaleb C. Striplin<ka...@striplin.net>  wrote:
Why not a diesel gen?
My thought too.  Used ones with plenty of life are all over eBay.  I
like the security of knowing that I have more than a snowball's chance
of fixing the gen if it breaks down---mine is a Shindaiwa that is
about as complicated as an OM616.

But you have to live in a place where it is legal to have a big tank
of diesel sitting around, and make sure that it's OK with your
homeowner's insurance.  I know mine (Safeco) is OK with "a reasonable
amount given what is typical for the location of the property," which
according to my agent means since I live in farm country I can have an
80 gallon drum (since my neighbors all store that much or more to keep
their tractors going).

Alex

Diesel might have been ok as well but I just thought that LP or NG was even more long term. With NG, I don't have to store it and with LP it is sealed and thus not going to deteriorate over time like gasoline.

One other issue with diesel is starting in really cold weather.

Besides all that, the unit I bought just sort of appeared used on the local Kijiji list one day. I had to drive a couple of hundred miles to get it but that was no big deal. Left home about 5 AM if I recall and was back home mid afternoon.

Randy