One of the benefits of being a layperson is having the luxury of "day
dream" time.  If I ponder a problem long enough - over a period of days or
weeks - I can quite often arrive at the the most logical solution.
The technically gifted professional mechanic, OTOH, must come up with a
solution ASAP, as he is on the clock.  This may lead to misdiagnoses and
redundant or nonproductive fixes to seemingly complicated problems that are
often deceptively simple to resolve given the time to think about them...