My old 220D did this. The alternator was bad, the bearing were shot and the rotor was banging on the stator. Ate belts like crazy, also didn't charge well.

Have him check the bearings. Any noise, vibration, or ability to move the shaft in or out or sideways means it's time for an overhaul or replacement.

Peter