John Reames wrote:

BTW, when inspecting perches, bear in mind that they start to separate at the
back corner, so if you ever see any separation between the lower bead of
sealant and the perch, get to ordering parts.

The guy that did mine charged about $1300 including alignment.  I don't remember the
part number, but it's basically a frame section with a pre-attached and sealed
perch. It is secured by 40 structural steel 1/4" pop rivets.

I think I'd rather just pay $500 more for a 4MATIC (but you don't really have a choice if you insist on a diesel). Around here, a really nice 2000-03 4MATIC might be a $5-8k car, and I've seen decent ones with 180k for $4k. A really nice 98-99 turbo might be a $8-10k car, and the difference buys a lot of fuel for somebody like me driving 5000+ miles a year.

Mitch.