On Mar 14, 2012, at 12:08 PM, "glenn brown" <g_010...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I started and ran my '85 300TD a little while ago and it still has a rough
> idle and smokes upon a cold startup, but warms up in 2-3 min. and then the
> idle is as smooth as an old diesel will get and the smoking ceases, so
> there's no change after I changed the #4 & 5 fuel injectors yesterday.  Next
> step?

Questions for Glenn. Does the smoke smell like unburnt fuel or coolant?
Does it only do this when started from dead cold? (I think you answered in the
affirmative before. I work midnights and am brain dead right now.)
Questions for list.
I've never had the head off of an OM617. Is it possible that the glow plugs are
shrouded in carbon and are having no effect?  What are the balls in the
pre-chamber for? If one was missing, would it cause a problem like this?

Rick
Sent from my iPhone