glenn brown wrote:
I started and ran my '85 300TD a little while ago and it still has a rough idle and
smokes upon a cold startup, but warms up in 2-3 min. and then the idle is as smooth
as an old diesel will get and the smoking ceases, so there's no change after I
changed the #4 & 5 fuel injectors yesterday.  Next step?

I forget, have you done a cold power balance test by starting the car and cracking open the injector lines one at a time? If so, which cylinders did not cause the engine to run worse when you deactivated their injectors?

(as always, keep your hands away from the high pressure fittings when you loosen them to avoid a subcutaneous injection of #2 diesel)