It seems to me that taking off the EGR valve and the football eliminator pipe would make access much easier. Are these necessary for access, or just a convenience for getting the turbo out? I am going to start on this tomorrow.

Oil feed line is on top, under the EGR assembly. You will probably need to also remove the 10 mm screw that holds the line to the bracket, and possibly the fitting on the block as well. Not a big deal.

The exhaust is connected via some accordioned stainless parts with strap clamps, easy to manage.

I'm guessing your oil consumption will go way down with a new one.

Peter