If you have a drive that is acting weird, I would run a test on it.  If it
fails, get it replaced while its still under warranty.  Western Digital has
free software that will read every part of the disk. It can take 5-7 hours
for a 2TB drive if its connected with SATA/eSATA.

I'd have to research the SATA compatibility issue.

The manufacturers are using it, but I wouldn't pay more for a drive unless
I was considering using in a multi disk RAID configuration or considering
selling them down the road.  3GB = 300MB/s.  Individual drives cannot pump
that much data, and 2 drives in a striped config can't really do that
either.