AC evaporators in the W124 were a known problem, official estimates are 15% failed in 10 years. My personal score is more like 2 out of three. The originals had copper piping and an aluminum core, with the result that the aluminum suffered from severe stress corrosion (fatigue) at the rolled seal. Not a bright idea.

If replacing, use the all aluminum one, they don't leak. More to the point, the junction between the supply and exit lines and the core don't crack, which is were the originals fail.

Replacing one is a huge job, 16 hrs by the factory manual and usually three days for the amateur. I know, I did one. Better the second time, I'm sure, but it's a huge pain.

Peter