After a recent incident in my 91 300D I am even more skeptical of these unintended accelerations. As I accelerated up the on ramp the cruise control linkage dropped loose and became jammed against the engine keeping us at full acceleration. We were passing through 65 when I realized it and immediately applied the brakes. The brakes had no problem slowing the car as I pulled over to the side of the interstate. As I was almost stopped I turned the key off and we stopped with no drama. IIRC more cars have brakes designed to hold back twice as much HP as a car has.

Then again, I think about the incredibly stupid public driving around loose in the US -

LarryT
91 300D