On Jul 12, 2012 9:40 AM, "Rick Knoble" <rickkno...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> A while back someone (Curt maybe)
> recommended HP business class
> work stations for good solid home
> computers. What specific machine
> would that be?

It's a bit lower spec than the machines Curt was talking about, but I have
been very happy with an HP DX5150 as a general-purpose home server.  Small,
pretty quiet, easy to upgrade.  I have SATA and USB3 cards in mine so as to
run two big drives internally and connect to a fast external drive for
regular offsite backups.  It acts as a NAS for music sharing, does
automated backups of all other machines on the network with BackupPC, and
provides a TCP/IP print queue using a garage-sale laser printer on the
parallel port.  Not bad for $50 on fleaBay plus $200 or so to max out the
RAM and drives.

If the DX5150 can do all that as a server, it's more than enough for a
single-user machine as long as you're not a gamer.  Put 4gb of RAM in it,
get a video card with HDMI out, a 1080p monitor (I like the ViewSonic
VX2453 for a decent cheapie), install Ubuntu, and you are good to go for
undet $500 all told.

Alex