Sounds like an alignment issue (perhaps the simplest thing to check first). When I rebuilt the suspension on the 300TD it of course was out of spec, and when I drove it a few miles to the alignment shop it was really nasty like you describe. When I recently did the 300SD I got it "aligned" a bit better when I put it back together so driving to the shop was more tolerable, but it was still prone to that sort of thing. Does that car need front and rear alignment? Maybe you should go ahead and get the front tires then take it to the alignment shop (or the tire shop can do it) and see how that works. Or two kinds of tires fighting each other?

--R