Start with simple and what you know, which is that the front tires need to be
replaced. Odd turning behavior could be broken belts in the tires, duck-walk
really sounds like broken belts.
--
Max Dillon
Charleston SC

Donald Snook <dsn...@mtsqh.com> wrote:

My mother has a 2003 Volvo XC70 Wagon with the 2.5Turbo engine and AWD.
Recently, she replaced the tires and they put them on the rear. The front tires
should be replaced fairly soon. She claims that after that the car started
riding oddly and just didn't seem very tight. I drove it last week to see if I
could feel it. It seems to have two problems. One is at low speed, it kind of
wanders. I would call it a "duck walk." If that is it, I would assume the front
tires are bad.

BUT, here's the much bigger problem. In tight turns like into a parking space
or as I was driving around the cul-de-sac, halfway through the turn, the
steering with lurch into the turn. It is REALLY fast. If you are turning left,
half way through, the steering wheel will just shoot to the left very fast. I
am dreading the problem because I think it might be the steering rack. Anyone
have any other ideas? It also just seems a little jerky and rough when driving
down the road straight - almost like the tie rods are bad. But, I don't think
that could cause the steering wheel issue.

Donald H. Snook