Started hearing that familiar rumble on my '78 240D the other day and knew the
time had come for wheel bearings. Got 'em at my local Car Quest Friday with the
intention of doing them Saturday (which is why I didn't get them from Q).
Saturday came and I had no energy, instead I used my new scale to pre-weigh the
grease into little plastic containers from the Chinese takeout. Worked sweet
BTW.

Today I finally dug in, guessed the driver's side was the immediate culprit,
and it appears I was right. Much more play in the outer bearing than in its
replacement, a little more wear and the rollers would fall clean out. Guess I
waited a little too long for this job. I *think* I did the other side a year or
two ago.
Anyway the strange part of the whole thing was that the seals I'd gotten are
WAY too small, probably 1/4" smaller than the inner bearing itself. Fortunately
I'd gotten lucky and didn't damage the existing seal and got it back together
with that. W123 bearings are easier to setup with my dial caliper than W201
owing to a larger hub.
60g of grease is much more than I thought it would be, I'd actually weighed out
60.5g as I figured I'd have some wastage which I did in figuring out which way
the seal went on. Took it for a ride and the noise is GONE.

The guy at Car Quest tried 3 different methods for looking up the seal and came
up with only that one part number. I tossed it over to Q, I've got a spare set
of bearings now, I should have a spare seal to go with them.

-Curt