I had time tonight to go out and pull the cluster from my '84 190D that isn't
charging (parking brake, brake warning and low fuel indicators on).
Pulling the cluster from a 201 is a lot harder than a 123. The steering wheel
must come out, normal tools don't seem to work and you can't push it out from
underneath...

Anyway the bulb for the alternator light is much bigger than the other warning
lights, its a 3w bulb, same as the turn indicators so I swapped it with a turn
indicator bulb, now the alternator light is on during POST where it wasn't
before. Dug around in my box o' bulbs and found a replacement (actually found
10 replacements, I guess at one point 12 was the minimum order) and got it
installed before bedtime. Tomorrow night I'll put everything back together and
fire it up and see what happens.

-Curt