Curt,

Never owned a W123 to compare the two, but I know I didn't have to take the steering wheel off of my '85 190D when I took the cluster out. If you take out the drivers side vent & duct hose once you've removed the bottom panel & unscrewed the speedo cable, you can reach around & push out the cluster from behind on the left side. At least that's how I remember doing it.......it's been awhile.

Chris J.