Anyone out there with expertise or at least recent experience?

We have had 2 Canon video cameras over the years. The first died, was repaired and died again.
The second still works but is the old tape style and certainly not HD.

Prices are much much less than we paid for either of the earlier ones.

I have been thinking I might like to get a new one.

Any suggestions. Don't want to spend a fortune but will more $ get me a better camera or just bells and whistles?

Randy