hi Andrew!

our '85 (Calif) 300D is routinely driven in a manner we'll call 'briskly', and averages just about or barely above 20 MPG on (almost exclusively) B99.9 in mostly Kombat Kommute traffic (which means either crawling or flying). we don't use it much for around-town. on open highway trips it's not much different, but that's not surprising since again, that's typically 80+ MPH.

WRT the CD, not only are they slightly shorter presenting a smaller frontal surface area in a critical area, but didn't they also have a different rear axle ratio?

cheers!