So finally after a trip to California the saga continues.

Today I put a new regulator in, 2 screws yeah but...
The belly pan has to come off
the cover over the alt has to come off, thats 4 nuts 1 of which has to come out
from the top.

Then: The old regulator looked good, the brushes were about 1/16" shorter
(maybe not quite 1/16") than the new in box I had on the shelf. I put the new
one in anyway, I figured while I was there and all. Spent a little time
cleaning the rings with contact cleaner on a rag before I installed.
Fired up and, nothing. Same 12.5v I was seeing at rest.

Decided I'd call my Indy to see what the warranty is and call CarQuest to price
a new one. Pulled the paperwork and realize that this was a NEW(!) alternator
to the tune of $331.62 not quite 2 years ago. Called the Indy, he wasn't there,
we'll see what he says but I suspect he'll warranty that. IIRC he upsold me
into the new alt based on the 4 or 5 refurbs we had to put into my '83 240D to
get one that worked right.

Edit: I'm reasonably sure something else is going on, either I screwed up
installing the regulator (quite possible) or something else entirely, now I
have no warning lights or fuel gauge. Unfortunately I didn't check to see if
they worked before I pulled the regulator, sloppy of me. Does the gauge cluster
ground through the regulator?

-Curt