You don't hurt anything using a larger alternator. I'd go for the 65 or larger. 55 was probably changed to 65 with the MBNA insistence that US model 240Ds were "luxury cars" and had to have electric winders, sunroof and every other thing they could think of to hang on the US models.

I'd go for the 65 or larger.  (assuming equal price)

IIRC, the 240D had the 55A alternator - why waste power pushing electrons
around that you don't need? The cars with more electrical accesories got
larger capacity alternators. They won't hurt, but it's unlikely that you
need any more than 55A.