Facts of life. Win XP is as strong in business now as it was ~10 years ago. Particularly when optimized for performance and the "classic" start screen is used (so as to make it look like windows 2000) Our machines at work are XP, and there is no interest in moving. We just loaded orifice 2003 on a couple machines today. Again, it works fine. Not as quirky as orifice 2007. Being EOL, M$ is not as anal about their fees as they are with the latest. Not many businesses on Win 7 or 8. More likely to go penguin than support Bill's old age. We buy used hardware for $30 to $50. Keeps the IT budget in line.

If I were looking for a winders laptop, I'd be looking for XP compatibility too.

That said, for an XP laptop, my choice is a Macbook. Use the mac for most things then run XP with bootcamp or as a VM for what you need to.

I have been running that way for several years. Last 2 years, no xp. once in a while I wish I had it, but never enough to feel it is woth the time to load on my VM on the macbook. Remember when the macbook came out, it was the fastest Winders laptop, either bare or with bootcamp. SWMBO had a hard drive die a year ago on the very first edition of white Macbook. What's that? 7 years old now? My early macbook unibody had a fan go out last year. Still not bad for 5 years or whatever it is.

I do freely admit that I have winxp machines available for the times I really need xp. Otherwise, I'd have broken down and installed it with bootcamp or the VM.

I have over 30,000 clients running XP, which are being replaced with Windows 7 machines at the rate of about 5,000/year. At that rate I will be all in on Windows 7 when Windows 8 is approaching end of life.

Say what you want, but XP has been good for us from an enterprise standpoint. 7 is OK but has its quirks.

And we are finally moving to DFS! Hallelujah! No more drive mapping!

Dan who is migrating a file server right now courtesy of Robocopy

Sent from my iPad