Jim Cathey wrote:

I vote alternator as I don't know how you would be measuring 320mA
for an _internal_ battery short (a common failure mode), so my best
guess is a bad diode in the alternator.  This is a nice double whammy
as it also prevents the alternator from charging properly.  Glow plug
relay is also separately fused.  Alternator and GP relay are both
easy to unplug, leaving only the starter as a final suspect.

I unplugged the harness for the GP relay, and the current draw did not change, so I think that rules that out. The alternator still charges the battery just fine, though. Tomorrow afternoon's first troubleshooting step will be to remove the connection on the alternator.

You might also check for auxiliary fuses, you could have missed some.
Various MB's can have a basket-load of them, particularly the ones
in the 70's.

I'll consult the ETM further to check on this.

--
John L. Ervine
1981 240D 4-spd 268+kmi