Son saw it and signed it, supposedly, at 1.99%, $230/mo; I'll confirm when I see CU lady tomorrow. Stealer FM was trying to jack it to $260/mo., saying, "Oh, that's not much - only a dollar a day, etc., for this fantastic deal on long-term insurance."

BTW, 'told CU lady 'bout stealer FM tactics this morning; she didn't seem pleased; I'm still not. She, son and I had it all set -- $13k @ 1.99%; all he had to do was write it up; didn't need to get into all of that other extraneous BS.

Wilton

----- Original Message ----- From: "Randy Bennell" <rbenn...@bennell.ca>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Tuesday, April 30, 2013 3:12 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Dealers/stealers

On 30/04/2013 9:30 AM, WILTON wrote:
Picked up son's new Toyota truck yesterday to replace one totaled by a deer. First stopped by credit union to arrange financing - cost of vehicle minus ins. check = ~$13k. (Bit of background - son was laid off as a surveyor about 4 years ago; went to chef school with my help; been working as cook/chef about 1½ yr., so he's been "in a bind" for a few years.) I told CU lady I wanted it arranged however necessary for him to get lowest rate - 1.99%; if son couldn't qualify for that rate by himself, I'd sign with him. She worked it up for son by himself - 8.9%!! I said, "No, do it however it takes for it to be at 1.99%." She checked my application and exclaimed, "Debt free! How you do dat?" My reply, "By keeping stuff paid." ;<) Then she decided "we" could get the loan at 1.99% if I were Primary - i. e., MY loan. Meanwhile, I asked if Mrs. X (manager) were still there. Lady responded, "Yes, but it's Mrs. XY now, she got married." Lady studied papers and computer for few min and said, "Excuse me, I'll be right back." In few minutes she came back with Mrs. XY, who hugged me enthusiastically and said, "We're going to give son the loan by himself at the lowest rate - 1.99%. You've been with us for 34 years and paid off mortgage years ago; son has mortgage there, also, etc.

Lady who was working on case called Toyota salesman to get an invoice, etc. and called clerk to start working up papers, etc. Few min later invoice arrived with wrong figures for ins. check - 'don't know where he got the imaginary figures. CU lady called Toyota; Toyota guy asked if we'd just go there and let him run the CU loan through "his system" in the usual manner and send it to CU electronically. I agreed reluctantly; they assured me that it was all same - still a CU loan at 1.99%.

We arrived at stealership, called USAA for ins; received ins card by fax, then met "finance manager" for final paperwork; stuff finally moving along 'til finance guy went into his long-winded sales pitch for extended, long-term warranty adding another $27XX to the $13k CU loan. I tried to be calm and try to listen to his alarmist crap; noticed that son didn't know what to do. I finally had to chime in with, "No, please just work it up for the $13 CU loan and let's move on with it. You need to be taking stuff off - not tacking stuff on. The truck already has $3k "worth" of crap hung on it that he doesn't need." Finance guy wouldn't take "No" for an answer, though, and continued with his bull-dog-like alarmist crap. I told him at least twice more, "No, if we can't depend on the Toyota we're buying any more than that, maybe we need to go somewhere else." Finally got 'im to shut up about the extended warranty and move along with the $13k CU loan that we had already arranged at the CU. Finally got it done and got the Hell out of there. I'm gonna try mighty hard not to ever go back.

It seems that the REAL reason, the Toyota guy wanted us to go there was to try to get another $27XX tacked onto their take. I'm afraid (nearly certain) that, if I had not been there, the SOB would have tacked it onto son's CU loan.

Wilton

Did you check the papers really carefully? They sound like the sort of
people who might have changed the inerest rate back to 8.9%.

Randy