When I bought a new VW Jetta TDI in 2000 it was a very good experience
also.  I had worked up the numbers I thought would be a reasonable
discount.  The first offer from the dealer was even lower than that so I
just said there somewhat dumbfounded and asked for some more off that.  The
salesman said, we can do that.  Done deal.  I wrote them a check and they
let me drive the car away.

I bought it was diesel was $2.00/gallon (cough, cough) and another dealer
was saying nobody would buy a diesel when its this high.