Tax laws are made by Congress.  Some point to consider are that flat tax
rates such as sales taxes are regressive and hurt the poor.  Taxes that
make everyone pay the same overall "percentage of income" are preferred but
tricky.

For example, the per gallon gas tax is the same for someone living on
minimum wage as they are for a rich person.  Therefore the percentage of
income is higher for the minimum wage worker.

Also higher income earners often pay less as a percentage than the middle
class.

Does Mitt Romney contribute 6% of his "wages" to the social security fund?