On Thu, 30 May 2013 16:05:58 -0400 "G. M. Brown" <g_010...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> I guess I should have known better than to ask this of the list as I've
> purchased a 46mm soket, cleaned, reinstalled, broken and resoldered
> wires, obtained another at the local PNP, etc., etc. . . . I'm after
> someone who actually know how these things work.

Dan told you. The thin wires are nichrome resistance wire. The float
provides a fuel-level dependent short on the two parallel resistance
wires. Thus the sender presents a fuel-level dependent resistance to
the fuel level gauge in the instrument cluster.

In addition, there is a disk that shorts two terminals on the bottom
to turn on the reserve light in the instrument cluster when the fuel
level is low.

Craig