'Never heard of chronic timing chain problem 'till it was mentioned on this list today.

Wilton

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris James" <c_ja...@gmx.com>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Sunday, June 23, 2013 1:06 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Rod bender repairs

Well, being outside the 4yr/50Kmi warranty.....at least they paid
something. How disappointing to have that happen though.

Looking back, any warning/symptoms before the chain let go? I think the
defective chain TSB only covers Jul '92 - Apr '94 built models.

http://www.w124performance.com/docs/mb/OM60X/OM60x_Timing_Chain_TSB.pdf

If an original 3.5L OM603 engine has made it 20yrs/150Kmi and currently
has no issues, I would think it's safe to assume it not a "Rod bender".
Many did have issues though (usually just outside of the warranty, IIRC)
& I'm not sure if a definite answer of why this was occurring has ever
been found out.