That's what the "word" was at that time; no talk of bad chains then, though.

Wilton

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mitch Haley" <m...@voyager.net>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Sunday, June 23, 2013 1:25 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Rod bender repairs

Chris James wrote:

If an original 3.5L OM603 engine has made it 20yrs/150Kmi and currently
has no issues, I would think it's safe to assume it not a "Rod bender".
Many did have issues though (usually just outside of the warranty, IIRC)
& I'm not sure if a definite answer of why this was occurring has ever
been found out.

The only theory I know that explains the fact that #1 rod is almost always the first to fail is head gasket failure and oil going into cylinder #1.

OM601/602/603 always tended to get head gasket leaks at the front, the larger bore of the 350 seems to increase the likelihood of the oil going into the cylinder instead of outside the engine.

Mitch.