Huh? I think there are enough carry over exterior design elements on the W220 (especially before the redesign), that it is still recognizable as a Mercedes. The same person that designed your W124, oversaw the design of the W220 after all (yes, Bruno Sacco).

Prefer the early W220 myself (styling wise), with the opaque headlights, ribbed taillights & rounded console buttons. But 2006 was the only year you could get a 6cyl W220 (S350, SWB) here in the US.

Let us know how the PPI goes! :-)