Exactly.

Landing a large aircraft is really a math exercise. Horizontal velocity vs
vertical velocity versus lift generated/thrust applied. Add cross wind
component and density altitude [how thick is the air to produce lift].

With the 777 approach speed of approx 175 mph and a sink rate of, let's say
4000 feet per minute [way to high for short final] calculate how many
seconds till impact at the approach angle.  Then calculate the engine spool
up time from low idle at 20% RPM to full power of 90% RPM... then the time
needed to use that full thrust to accelerate a 250,000 lb aircraft.
[conservative guess on weight].

Now calculate just how far behind the airplane the crew is ... the human
reaction factor.. etc..

If you wait until seconds count, there is never enough time.