The cabin crew told me that they would have put me in First Class but it was
full. I was probably wearing jeans, as I always traveled in comfortable
clothing whenever possible.

I got to chat with the second officer when he came back to get something out of
his bags, and got to visit the flight deck and sit in the jump seat for about
30 minutes, too (this was pre 9/11.)

One of my partners at work had a similar incident happen to him about halfway
across the Atlantic, and they let him ride the rest of the way in the jump
seat. He was all a twitter, as he is a very avid private pilot, formerly owning
a Stearman and now a Maule, I believe.

The service on KLM is wonderful, even coach. In business class they gave you
little gifts in each flight. At that time the gift was a hand made Delft tile
with some sort of Netherlander design on it. I had a whole set of the things,
which ended up being mounted on wooden plaques and hung around the top of our
kitchen.

I highly recommend KLM. Schipol is a great airport, too.

D-