Thanks Manfred.  I stopped by the shop today and watched him set it up with #1
on the compression stroke then roll the engine over and watched the fuel spurt
out and the timing mark stop at 24 degrees.  Does this mean it is in the proper
range?   The weird thing is the mechanic had supposedly  installed the pump at
180 opposite.  He said he did this by setting up the pump normally and setting
engine at 180.  He was then going put things back together and give it a try.
I had to leave at that point
Mike