The blend is OK if you don't let it age.  The problem is greatest in 2-cycle
machines that get put away with fuel-oil mix still in the tank or in the can
of "left over" 2-cycle mix that gets saved for next year.  The ethanol blend
is just a lot more "perishable" than the gas of old.  I have to wonder if a
life cycle study would show any advantage (cost or environmental) for the
mandated blend.

Scot