Sorry to interrupt this ongoing discussion about Rusty and Trent and Gary, but I have a question about the alternator on my '83 300D.

There are three wires coming out of the alternator. Service Manual SM-1243 shows that the two heavy wires, same color, are common inside the alternator. It also shows that these two wires terminate at a buss bar on the right rear inside front fender. This seems unusual having two common wires originating and terminating between the alternator and buss. The only explanation I can think of is that MB is dividing up the 60 amp load between two wires instead of having one larger wire.

The manual also shows the battery connected to this buss but doesn't show where.

Can someone tell me where the wire from the buss to the battery connects to the positive battery cable so I can check it's continuity and clean the connection?

With the key on "run" there is 12v on all three wires to the alternator. With the key off, there is no voltage on the small green wire and still 12v to the other two heavy wires. It is a new alternator, but it still doesn't show 13.7v when engine is running 600 to 1200 rpm.

Also, where is the ground strap from the frame to the engine/transmission?

Thanks,
Gerry