Against my desire to remain silent.. I feel the need to weigh in on this
discussion.

To wit:  More than once, within the past decade, the US Supreme Court has
ruled that it is NOT a duty of a policeman/woman to protect citizens. The
only duty a policeman has is to protect himself.  As stunning as this may
be... it is the foundational basis for police to be armed.. to protect
themselves, ONLY.

We, the citizen, are on our own.  [Sorry Andrew, bad news, I know].  Police
do not "stop crime". They "report crime". Then consume great amounts of
time and money chasing those who do crime... sort of.. to gather evidence
which may or may not meet the burden of proof at trial to prove a crime was
committed.

If we indeed had a "war on crime" as we are told we do.. the body count
would be much higher... and police officers would be much better at weapons
handling.  Some are.. many are not, as stated here.

Grant...
Who was always amazed at the military who gave command pilots nukes then
armed them with 6 shot, short barrel .38 revolvers for personal protection
when they ejected over hostile country...
and always believed the crash axe was a better choice...