Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2013 13:52:17 -0500
From: Randy Bennell <rbenn...@bennell.ca>
To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT: Truck for Jamie

I have commented on this before so hope I don't bore anyone.

My neighbor accross the lane has a Golf TDI.
The first winter, he took it to the dealer to have seat heaters
installed because the car did not produce sufficient heat to keep them warm.

He says that is understandable. He is a retired Physics professor and
says that vehicles that make really good fuel mileage are not as likely
to produce good heat. He says that burning fuel is converting one form
of energy to another and if one burns lots of fuel then one generally
creates a lot of heat as part of that conversion.

Thus the old cast iron V8 blocks of our youth used a lot of fuel but
made and retained heat well.

Modern engines have so much aluminum etc that they also dispel the heat
better. Not so good when we need heat.
One of the things I see touted for one of the new pickup trucks is
active shutters that close off the grill when the temperature sensors
say they don't need the airflow.

Randy