On 20/09/2013 3:54 PM, Curt Raymond wrote:
Back in the teens and '20s International Harvester offered shutters on tractors setup to
burn kerosene. Extra heat was required at the intake manifold to vaporize the kerosene
(which was really "stove oil" not what we think of as kerosene). Later models I
believe had some kind of thermostat system to open and close the shutters to stay in the
optimal temperature range.

-Curt

A former neighbor drove diesel Jettas.
He had 3 at once when he lived accross the lane.
One was normally aspirated and produced something like 40HP.
He towed a pop up tent trailer with it all the way to the west coast with his family.
Said it just barely climbed over the mountains.

At any rate, he had problems with it overheating on the way home and determined that the electric fan was not coming on when it should. He was in Yellowstone Park if I recall and there was not much available in terms of stores or automotive shops, so, he found a store that had basic hardware stuff and bought a length of wire like you would use in your house, a normal light switch and some wire nuts. He hooked it up to the fan so he could manually turn it on from inside the car and managed to get home like that without damaging the engine.

Randy