My buddy still uses his G5 w/ 30" Cinema display bit admits its getting
tired.

I still have my 2007 17" MBP though it too is getting tired.  I don't need
screens to just appear, but as the software becomes more complex it gets
slower and slower.  It can't really keep up with my scanner like newer
machines.  It has been a good one considering its 6 years old.  I upgraded
the RAM and hard drive.  It has the dreaded 17" MBP battery problem and
after the 2nd one died I didn't replace it.  The motherboard was replaced
out of warranty through a NVIDIA recall program.