I have a 1999-vintage G4 tower

Those have a pretty low power draw, something like 20W.
(Assuming you didn't hot it up too much.)  They'd be a
fairly decent media server, assuming they'd be up to
the task.  Our dual and quad G5's are 10-20x the power
draw, leave them on and you'd see it in your power bill.

Lack of space and need, though, I gave our G4 tower away.
We'd never deployed it for anything, it was a gift from
a neighbor that bought a pallet load of PC's that came
from a school district.  Got the monitor I'm using on
this dual G5 in the same batch.  (Jill's 30" cinema
display was _not_ free, however!)

The G3 beige is on 24x7, and runs 10.2.8, upon which I
use Apple Mail, and master my web site.  I did all the
Illustrator schematics I have on it, too.  I finally
got to stop going downstairs to read email when I
figured out that Vines was the only way to do remote
screen work.  Once that was up and running I got to
stay upstairs and run the Beige from either my Pismo,
or this G5D that's networked _through_ another Pismo's
airport.  This G5D is the only non–laptop we have that's
not using a hardwire ethernet link.  The G5's are the
only things that surf well, though, except for selected
sites like Craigslist where the Pismo is happy.  I had
to give up surfing on the Beige years ago, though at
first it worked just fine.  Javascript cured that.

I have a G5 dual because it turned out there was no way
to effectively use the 30" display on it.  I had to buy
another (quad) in order to get a high-enough capacity
video card.  So I put the dual in service for myself.
Oops.  I use it to surf, and to offload the camera's
pictures.

-- Jim