On Sat, 21 Dec 2013 17:58:55 -0800 Alex Chamberlain
<apchamberl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 21, 2013 at 12:28 PM, Craig <diese...@pisquared.net> wrote:
>
> > 99% of the CPU. I then used Task Manager to end the svchost.exe
> > process and saw the CPU usage drop, eventhough svchost.exe was
> > automatically restarted. I restarted Windows Update, which started
> > IE. I saw svchost.exe again taking 99% of CPU and ended its process
> > again.
> >

> Sounds like you are running into this issue:
>
> http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/12/exponential-algorithm-making-windows-xp-miserable-could-be-fixed/

Yes, that sounds like the problem. I looked up svchost.exe on the web and
found a few articles that addressed the problem. One provided a fix
consisting of downloading three files and installing them. Some of the
comments after that article said the "fix" caused more problems, some
serious. So, I didn't implement that fix. Another suggested downloading a
"Process Explorer", which I did, but which didn't help too much.

Since the whole point of booting into Windows today was to update my
Garmin's maps, I just used the Task Manager to kill the offending
svchost.exe process and then did NOT try Windows Update (which
automatically starts the one, apparently with a memory leak, which causes
all the problems).

Once that was accomplished, I started the Garmin Express application and
proceeded to update my nĂ¼vi. With our DSL connection that tops out at
1.4 megabits/s, the download will take three hours (it says it has two
hours to go). I can't imagine trying to do it over a 56 kbps dial-up
connection.

Craig