I did most of what you're talking about on an old Dell laptop I had, and after
the 41 ( or so ) updates, the machine booted once and crashed.  That was the
end of that.  I went back in 'history' to a functional point and made that my
starting point, ignoring the updates that it had just installed.  It ran, and
runs fine, to this day.

I add this snipped of worthless data because if you set a new 'reference' point
to return to before you install all that stuff ( after downloading it ) you can
return to your present state of bliss after it crashes (c: ..

On Sunday, December 22, 2013 10:15 AM, Craig <diese...@pisquared.net> wrote:

On Sat, 21 Dec 2013 19:36:02 -0700 Craig <diese...@pisquared.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Dec 2013 17:58:55 -0800 Alex Chamberlain
> <apchamberl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Dec 21, 2013 at 12:28 PM, Craig <diese...@pisquared.net>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > 99% of the CPU. I then used Task Manager to end the svchost.exe
> > > process and saw the CPU usage drop, eventhough svchost.exe was
> > > automatically restarted. I restarted Windows Update, which started
> > > IE. I saw svchost.exe again taking 99% of CPU and ended its process
> > > again.
> > >

> > Sounds like you are running into this issue:
> >
> > http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/12/exponential-algorithm-making-windows-xp-miserable-could-be-fixed/
>
> Yes, that sounds like the problem.

>From that article, I inferred that if I just left the Windows Update
running, it would eventually complete the O(2^n) process. After my Garmin
maps update completed, I restarted Windows Update and left it. This
morning I returned to my laptop to find that Windows Update had indeed
completed and said I had 41 updates. I told Windows Update to go ahead
and it is now in the process of downloading and installing.

With the new n being 41 greater than the old n, I can just imagine how
long it will take next time.

Craig