I love my W140, and am very comfortable with the systems.  It's been a great
car and very reliable.

While it would be nice to have another W140, I really want a convertible to
take advantage of the climate here.  Prices on W107s are stupid, and you have
the dated technology that goes with them.  They are nice cars, but I wanted
something more affordable and something I am comfortable working on and
repairing.

Early R129s are kind of simple and plain, IMHO.  The systems aren't as nice and
sophisticated as the 94 and later ("facelift" models).  96 and later have a 5
speed tranny as opposed to the 4 speed, and also aren't susceptible to the two
big issues in earlier models - self-destructing wiring harnesses and failing
evaporators.

With the budget I have I didn't expect to find a 96 or later, so this was a
real blessing in disguise.  Thanks to Kaleb's help with a Carfax and some
assistance from a friend who has access to the California DMV (where this car
was originally sold) I was able to put together the history in great detail.
My parts buddy at MB of Tampa got me access to the service history, which was
the icing on the cake, so to speak.

Top hydraulics will cost me around $600 for a full set of 12 rebuilt cylinders.
 Oil tubes, if it needs them, will set me back about $250 - $300.

O2 sensors might be needed, although I'm convinced that the lifter tick and O2
issues are probably due to the lack of use (less than 3k miles in the last 4
years.)

Hard top headliner is an easy DIY repair that costs about $100 for material and
glue.  A good Saturday project and not one that's critical to the operation of
the car.

I'll get all the fluids and filters changed out and drive it for a bit before I
make any changes.  I'll hit the hydraulics in January after I get my
vacation/sick days payout from the school district.  It looks like it could use
some brakes, so I'll take them on in January as well.

Again, thanks to Kaleb for the Carfax!

Dan